OK, I've read nearly all the comments on this topic in both forums and I'm ready to toss my two cents worth in the pot. If I were king, here's what I'd do to get my "royal advisors" started right after I explained the "KISS" principle. - Anyone wanting to become an LSF "Sportsman" MUST successfully complete the current requirements for Level I & II(Contest reqm't included). Why? First, these two levels do a lot toward producing a competent sailplane pilot. The competition requirement of Level II isn't that stiff and at least exposes the participant to competition. Second, by making Level II mandatory, a pool of Sportsman pilots becomes available who at least understand what the LSF program is all about and can appropriately serve as witnesses for those in pursuit of higher levels. - After completing Level II, the requirements for further Sportsman Levels should include the current non-competitive tasks in Levels II - V. To keep things simple (a former LSF Secretary speaks here), perhaps repeats of these tasks might be required of the Sportsman. My personal opinion is the XC task of Level III should also be required as it currently stands as it, too, gives the pilot good introductory exposure to XC. - For Sportsman Levels IV & V, perhaps a substitute for the XC tasks might be available but, for Sportsman Level V, both the 2 hour thermal and traditional 8 hour slope flight should remain. (Note that for some of the current Level V's - that's the only slope flying they've done.) Also, Sportsman Level V's should keep the 2 Level II witnesses requirement as well as that requirement helps promote the hobby's growth by its "if you can't find 'em, grow 'em" strategy.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,
       Jim Deck
An "afterward" - for the LSF Leadership, this discussion couldn't have come at a worse time. The LSF sponsored Masters and the AMA Planning Meeting for the 2007 NATS re on the very near horizon. Remember that they are unpaid volunteers and cut them lots of slack while patiently waiting for their response.