"Why on earth would anyone be satisfied to be an LSF Sportsman Level V
when you could be a 'real' LSF Level V with just a little more
dedication and
perseverance?"

I'll tell you exactly why.  It may be a surprise to know that there is
a world beyond New Jersey or Michigan or California or wherever you
live where people do not have access to the smorgasboard of LSF Level V
quality competitions within a few hours drive.  I am an LSF Level IV who
completed a significant portion of that award driving from Salt Lake
City to Southern California.  (For those of you who are not up on your
geography, thats over 600 miles one-way)  I don't need a lecture from
anyone on persistence and perserverance.

I'm retired and determined to chase the elusive Level V even in spite
of the 30-50,000 miles I estimate that it will take me to get it.  But
I won't do it for a stinkin' badge.  I wouldn't cross the street for
another badge.  It will be for the pleasure I get associating with
other fliers.

It seems from all of these threads that the multitude of flyers who
live near this country's soaring centers simply don't care what happens
to the hicks in the sticks.

How about the guy from Anchorage who posted a note that he just wanted
a relevant challenge beyond Level II (which he will probably have to
work on for more than a year)?  How about those of us who live in
places where participation has diminished to the point that the nearest
qualifying contests are over 250 miles away and most qualifying events
are over 500 miles away (my homeTulsa for example).

Some people will be satisfied with an LSF Sportsman Level V because
they don't have the choices that you apparently have. Your chauvinism
in this respect is sad.

Is a holder of a "real" Level V something akin to a "real" man?  I
think not, he is someone who has made different choices more often than
not because he had different "real" choices from which to select.  As
important as soaring is to many of us, I have immense respect for
people who have "real" lives and are forced to make hard decisions that
I will never have to face.

You know in the end we all love the same sport -- why can't we respect
the fact that everyone else isn't like us.  Why can't we enjoy our own
individual quests for excellence without denigrating the quests of
others.

Don

--
dharban