You guys really aren't looking at the international trends that are driving
the size wars.  These planes are designed as the ultimate F3J plane.  In
F3J, the launch power is as much as you can use, figuring you higher some
offensive lineman to tow.  If F3J were to switch to using F3b winches, the
launch power is regulated.  F3b has evolved to smaller planes, that launch
higher in a no wind, or downwind launch situation.  If F3J planes were to go
to a regulated launching system, the planes would get smaller, in order to
launch higher faster in weak launch conditions.

So the planes will continue to grow as long as there are large towers with a
lot of power to launch them.  Bigger planes are more efficient, so If you
can launch them, you are at an advantage.  Planes will grow unless we
regulate launching power.

BTW
We don't have a winch power problem we have a winch line problem.  We use
crappy/heavy braided line rather than high performance Mono filament
spectra.  The mono is temperamental, so I don't recommend switching out club
winch lines, but just understand the problem.

If F3J switches to F3b style regulated winches, the planes will come back
down in size, or at least stop growing.

--
David Klein
Graduate Research Student