That resistor rod is a really good idea -- simple, effective and robust.

A lot of the discussion about launching has been the effect on the line but that's the least of our problems. We've put stronger line on our winches -- we're at 270lb test at the moment -- but all that's done for us is that the motors and other mechanical components are now breaking up. This is starting to get expensive, and for what? So a handful of people can launch planes a little higher than they might otherwise be able to do, planes that are supposed to be high performance sailplanes that have a low enough sink rate that they should be able to cruise around for many minutes while their owners look for lift. (They should maybe try flying a plane that's a little more challenging -- 2 meter or an Easy Glider, something that demands you get everything right or you're on the ground. Those big moldies are way too easy to fly.)

Martin Usher