In another 1970's story, Rick Norwood, of the Soaring Union of Los
Angles (SULA), launched a Javelin Open class ship and did an active
zoom-type launch at the top.  For those unaware of the Javelin series,
these were rolled plywood fuselage R/E planes with straight dihedral
wings and up-swept curved tips to help thermaling.  The wings of these
planes used a center mount with a single main wingpin and small
alignment pins in the rear of the root airfoil.  The wing then was held
in place with rubber bands internally.  Anyway, when the plane zoomed
off the top the wing flexed and shifted and the alignment pin
disengaged, and one wing panel flipped over (rotated) so that the
airfoil was now inverted for the panel.  The plane promptly went into a
kind of flat spin.  Application of rudder one way, slowed the spin and
application of rudder the other way increased the spin rate.  The plane
looked OK until it caught a thermal in this spinning mode and we watched
it climb out.  Elevator did nothing.  We started to chase it in cars and
followed it nearly 3/4 of a mile as it disappeared into an industrial
park.  Catching up with we expected to see it in a re-kittable form, but
to our surprise, it was sitting pretty, unharmed between two industrial
warehouses.

I guess the helicopter action was not like a spiral death to the ground.