On a similar note, when I was learning to fly back in the early 90s in
upstate NY, Bill Johnson the kind gentleman that that was mentoring me, said
to meet him at the flying field one afternoon.  As I drove up I watched him
do a beautiful launch with his RES (something that started with an M... :)
).  As I got out of the car I greeted him with "So how's it going Bill?"
and he replied with a calm "Well, it would be better if the plane was doing
what I told it... - 30 years of flying and this is the first time I ever
launched with the plane off".  The plane settled into a nice thermal and
cruised over the trees at the end of the field.  We jumped in the car to
chase it and about 2 miles away we saw it spiraling down slowly.  We marked
the spot and drove to where we thought it came down and we saw a small field
surrounded by a superhighway on one side, a big dense housing development on
another, a nice deep river on another and a major set of power transmission
lines on the other.  We got out to look around and he immediately spotted
it, smack in the middle of this tiny field right side up with no damage at
all.  He picked it up and said some words that I remember to this day...
"See Jim - if you build it good, and trim it good, ya don't need no fool
behind the sticks..."

Jim Monaco