Hey Mark,

Does the Sidewinder from Polecata fill the bill, or is that still a little beyond what you were thinking for target price?  Just curious.

Mike

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [RCSE] An argument for handlaunch.
From: Mark Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, July 30, 2008 11:51 am
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], TG Bean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: soaring@airage.com

I also agree with Ben in that Handlaunch is breathing new life into soaring. We have seen it here in St. Louis. While there may not be many new members produced from it yet it sure has rekindled excitement from many of the current members. I, like Chris, go back to the beginnings of HLG. I built a Sunbird when Dave's article came out and have been with it ever since. I designed some old style HLG javelin type models and loved them. I have not participated much since DLG came about mostly because I had other things I wanted to do but I'm restarting again. I like the amount you get to fly, the simplicity of it all and the contest format makes you think more than I have to in TD. "Do I launch again and risk that 2 minute flight or do I walk away and see where the chips fall?" for example.

What I would like to see, and I do not know how realistic it is, would be a beginners class of handlaunch. Something where you do not need a $600 DLG machine or a $400 used beater where you spend more time chasing wing de laminations than flying. Something where you can learn flying and thermaling skills and move your way into the big leagues. I do not know if it is wood built ups on a mini high start or not. While that format is fun it is really just all up, last down over and over. Maybe a 1 meter DLG class? I'm not bright enough to figure it all out but I feel there needs to be something.

Mark Miller
Missing the NATS Greatly

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to soaring-request@airage.com. Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off. Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format