On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:44:58AM -0500, SteveR wrote:

| I've got a challenge for JR: How about offering open programming as
| Multiplex does so you can start from a blank sheet of paper and assign
| all controls, RX port inputs, all servo functions and all mixes to your
| individual specifications. No form of programming is easier or more
| flexible than this.

To be fair, at least my Evo 9 doesn't let me start from a blank sheet.
Instead, I *have* to start from a template, and while I can tweak that
template in each model without affecting the other models, significant
changes end up changing the template rather than just this model,
which affects all models using this template, which makes me reluctant
to make these changes.  (On the bright side, I can usually work around
this, and it does warn you first.)

I love my Evo 9, don't get me wrong, and the programming is better
than anything else I've ever used, but it doesn't quite do what I
think you're referring to.

Dunno if the other Multiplex models work differently ...

There's a lot of things that the `perfect' transmitters ought to do
differently than what's out there now --

  -- The Multiplex programming is way better than the other stuff out
     there.  Use that as a starting point, or at least as inspiration.

  -- I like the templates system in my Evo 9, but sometimes it's a
     pain, because I don't want to break other models.  I guess
     give me the ability to clone templates, with a model either using
     a standard template or a custom template?

  -- Limiting somebody to 10/20/whatever models is stupid.  Flash
     memory is so cheap now.  Give me 1000 models.  (Even the cheap
     Polk Tracker does 99.)  Even better, use a flash/sd card, so I
     can back things up on the computer or share with friends.  As an
     added bonus, let me manipulate these files on the computer.
     (There is a program that lets you do some of your programming of
     the Evo on your computer.  Very nice, even if it's not complete.)

     (Some of the high end TXs do use flash cards.  Considering that I
     can get a mp3 player that uses one for $20, even low end TXs
     should be able to use them as well.)

  -- The Evo 9's ergonomics is superior to JR and Futaba and friends.
     But I'll bet they could do a lot better.

  -- Sliders are far more useful than twist-knobs.

  -- Telemetry is probably already in the pipe.  Make sure the TX can
     support it natively when the RX's are ready.

  -- Since everything is in software anyways, there's not really any
     reason to limit a TX to X channels.  As long as the protocol used
     supports it, you should be able to use that many channels.  Your
     frame rate might suffer (like with PPM) and of course your RX
     would have to support it, but there's no reason to limit somebody
     to 9 or 12 channels beyond being able to sell another version
     of the radio with more channels.
     (That said, I've never needed more than 8 channels ...)

  -- Since the TX will already be transmitting and receiving
     (with telemetry) let it do a wireless buddy box!

  -- things I don't need:
     -- color screen (but it won't hurt)
     -- ability to play mp3 files
     -- ability to display a .jpg of my plane

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Don't spend two dollars to dry clean a shirt. Donate it to the