Jeff wrote:

> Been hearing more and more about this new launch method for HLG's.

Good. It's a cool method that deserves some real attention for several
reasons:

1) If the plane is properly designed to take it, launch heights ARE quite
amazing.
2) Even if you don't compete, and just like to wander around with an hlg in
the great outdoors,  the easy launch height is REALLY fun.
3) It seems (apologies to Dick Barker) that you don't need to look like a
greek javelin champion to begin to get most of the advantage of these side
arm launch heights. Everyone I've run into who has had a chance to seriously
throw a good sidearm plane usually gets higher launch heights than they ever
have achieved. Now granted, these are not generally folks who have trained
hard and tried desperately for years to get world class launch heights from
a javelin style throw, but the ease with which they are getting launches
that are higher than anything they've thrown is pretty neat.
4) For folks like me who (due to previous injury) cringe just at the thought
of having to do an overhand swing and follow-through on ANY  kind of throw,
the sidearm motion just instinctively feels easier on the body. If it gives
me the highest launches I've ever thrown as well... BONUS!
5) There's a good chance that as more and more hlg athletes give this idea a
try, we may see some wonderful styles, designs, and contest results emerge.
It was a kick to hear about some europilots using a throwing pin through the
wingtip to get more acceleration in the swing. Yay for experimentation.

> launch height sounds great, but can you accurately place the plane in the
> part of the sky that you want, like you can with a traditional throw?

A definitive answer to this question is being developed slowly by all the
folks pursuing side arm design and technique. Their goal is surely to be
able to answer YES.

1)It's relatively new as a method/school of thought, so it's easy to find
examples of folks who are not totally in control yet. No question that at
full hlg span (1.5m), it seems like a real handful to get the rotation,
release, and acceleration to produce a perfectly 'aimed' launch. And there's
a fair argument to be made that the method will inherently never be quite as
accurate as an aimed overhand throw. Dick Barker has certainly put in some
serious time tuning and throwing his full size side arm design, the Uplink,
and may beg to differ. I've watched him throw, and thrown his gliders, and
I'm pretty sure he can put it where he wants it.

2)On slightly smaller sidearms, in the hands of a dedicated side arm
launchers, I have seen launch acccuracy that I'd think even Joe Wurts would
be satisfied with. Seems a slightly smaller ship gives the thrower a bit
more 'vector authority' on launch, and the smaller ship size requires less
rotation to get a great launch height, so its a bit easier for the thrower
to concentrate on a targeted release.

I'd apologize for not having more definitive answers, but heck, that's where
all the fun is!
We all get to participate (if we want) in seeing what can be done with this
new(ish) technique!

Lift,
Scobie in Seattle