YK;

That's exactly how I've been cutting the slots for my carbon fiber tube spars since
1992.  You can't get the remaining slot width down to the diameter of the wire (.023")
because of wire burn. However,  you can get it down to a very manageable width of only
.090".  Furthermore,  as opposed to using a template at either end of the foam panel,
you have the added advantage of extending the length of the tube slot to whatever is
appropriate for the particular wing you're designing.  A simple jig to cut 1/8",
3/8",  1/2",  9/16" and 5/8" and you've got all the bases covered from HLG to as big
as you want to go.

Fred