Tragic warning Karlton.  Seems obvious in retrospect, but all too easy to
overlook in the heat of flying.  I would like to second the warning to
bungee launch enthusiasts. Check that stake *regularly* because it will come
out.  After thinking about how not to get hurt again, I think I have a
simple, unobtrusive solution to this risk.  A personal experience
illustrates:

I usually bungee in parks and such were it takes a piece of shovel handle to
generate enough torque to drive my spiral dog stake into the ground, so I
seldom check the stake and have never had problems.  Then I flew at the
beach last summer.  The soil was obviously very sandy and soft, so I chose a
damp area and angled the screw about 30* away from the direction of launch
and screwed in the stake as far as it would go.  I started off w/ gentle
launches and checked the stake for signs of wiggling loose after every
flight.  After a dozen flights of increasing launch tension, the stake
hadn't moved at all. I continued flying, checking after every other flight,
then every three or four.  After about an hour the stake had a half inch of
air space on the back side, but I felt quite secure in its holding strength.

I hadn't checked for about six flights and got that fateful thought "I
better check that next time" -- just like "This will be my last flight."  At
about 3/4 stretch (~30lb pull on two 3/8" surgical tubes) I heard a funny
sound and turned to see a silvery thing floating halfway between me and
where the stake should have been.  The stake hit me square on my left leg,
fortunately, handle first at the ankle, then the tip on my knee.  I got a
bump a bit larger (in all directions) than a large chicken egg on my ankle
that hurt w/ every step for about 3 months.  I thought I was doing due
diligence with for the risky situation, but just got a bit complacent and
actually got off very lucky compared to the winch-man you speak of.

I've been thinking at length about getting hit, and how not to again, and I
think I have a solution.  I propose attaching a hi-start parachute (or two)
to the top of the stake, or maybe tied on the bungee/line a couple from the
stake if opening is too slow.  This wouldn't stop the stake like some which
are chained to the ground by other stakes, but with the drag of the 'chute
the stake wouldn't be deadly.  Haven't run any field tests yet, but it
wouldn't be hard to increase the flying safety significantly in this way.
Just think--all the NHRA fans can get a little fix as the stake comes
shooting along with drogue 'chutes deployed :)

Cheers!

Tony Rogers

> Just off the FAI soaring list please get the word out about safety...
 "FATAL ACCIDENT DURING MODEL GLIDER TOWING

> On the day in question, after "about 30 launches", the stake anchoring the
pulley to the ground was pulled out by the force of the towline and struck
one of the towers, a sixteen year old, in the back of the head which
tragically killed him.