Hey,
this again is your "poor ole Oleg flying that thing called Taboo that just
happens to be his original design and probably did not cost him $1800 to build
and equip", as Pat McCleave nicely put it (thanks, Pat).

The following is a shameless plug for my new design Taboo (some may call it a
product announcement), so feel free to skip this message right now.

If you are not extremely rich and want to save some money, then you may be
better off getting some aerodynamics books and studying them (or taking some
classes in the Aerospace department of the closest University), learning how to
hot-wire the foam, how to vacuum bag nice wings and tails, making a few molds
for the fuselage and then molding a couple fuses for yourself. After about 20-30
planes you will be able to whip up a very nice HLG plane relatively fast (15-20
hrs maybe). If you get really lucky you may not have to change the design
considerably after the first test flights. If you are REALLY talented, it may
even thermal very well, and not break after a few sidearm launches. If you then
add up all of the expenses required to make those several nice HLG planes, you
will clearly realize that the current HLG prices are an attempt to rip you off
and you can make better planes on your own. The following information is not for
you then.

If on the other hand your pockets are burning with extra cash and you don't
think that paying $300+ for a good flying HLG kit is obscene, then keep reading.
Because I already went through all of the above (except I wasn't THAT talented,
I did have to change the design a few times before I got it right). And the only
reason I went through it to get paid just $7-10/hr for my labor is because it
brings me a great satisfaction to know that I can build a beautiful glider that
also happens to fly very well, and that other people also think the same way,
and they even pay me money to enjoy flying my plane.

Anyway, let me step down from my soapbox again (my head is still big). We all
know it's the pilot, not the plane. But then again, if I could get 2nd place at
IHLGF flying Taboo, almost anybody can do it. So, here is your chance to get
your hands on one.

Taboo is available for you in a kit form. The kit is highly prefabricated, as we
all expect them to be nowdays. The wings are blue foam, carbon spars and 45deg
biased fiberglass skins. Wing comes cut into panels, bevels presanded to the
correct angle. Fuselage is of the "flat" type, molded fiberglass with lots of
carbon reinforcement. Feel free to stuff this baby into the ground or whip it
around during discuss launches. There is no nose cone or separate nose part to
lose (happened a couple of times at IHLGF to some of the best planes). Tails are
contest grade balsa vac bagged with 0.75oz fiberglass - no warping, no assembly
or covering required. Fin is installed, stab needs to be glued to the boom.
Pushrods - 0.030" carbon rods in yellow Sullivan guide tubes. Guide tubes come
installed in the fuselage. Assembly requires: 1) joining the wing panels and
reinforcing with fiberglass strips, 2) installing wing attachment pegs and
reinforcing for the wing bolt, 3) gluing stab to the tail boom, 4) gluing servos
to the fuselage bottom, 5) installing pushrods. Total weight with 110mah nicads,
Hitec 555, and HS-55 servos about 9oz. No "stinking" gyros required to get a
good launch due to the correct vertical tail size.

I don't have the proper web-page up at this time, but will have it in the next
several days. For now if you don't have any idea what it looks like, here is the
page with pictures of the pre-production prototype plane that I created in 30
min: http://www.geocities.com/olgol/taboo.html
Please let me know if it doesn't display on your browser (you may have to change
the browser then...). The production plane has slightly different fuselage shape
of the same general design, and about 2 times wider carbon spars.

The price as of now is $325 + shipping. Send you questions to me. As soon as the
"official" web-page is ready I will announce it here.

Happy flying to y'all,
Oleg.

    Oleg Golovidov                          / /__ |/ / /__ |/ / / /
    Engineous Software Inc.                / ___/|  /__  /|  / / /
    www.engineous.com                     / /__ |/ ___/ / / / / /
    (919)677-6700 x107                   /____/|  /____/ / /_/ /