From: Jim Crook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 2:52 PM
To: RCSE
Subject: DHLG Launching problems

I have a Poly V-Tail HLG of my own design.  It was designed for the javelin
launch.  It launches (javelin) and flies fine.  Recently I have tried a few
experimental side-arm type launches "at low power".  By low power I simply
mean that I do not rotate fast or try to generate true launch speeds (I
don't think the plane will take it).  I am trying these test launches to get
a feel for the new launching technique before I build (or buy) a DHLG ship.
My problem is that on about 1 of every 5 launches the plane rolls over on
launch.  No amount of pre-set rudder seems to correct the problem or reduce
its frequency.  Living in Montana has some advantages - being near people
who fly sailplanes is not one of them!  Any ideas? Suggestions?

Jim Crook