From: Bill Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 8:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [RCSE] spar-sizing calculations

I'm building a Windfree nostalgia sailplane with strengthened wings, and
utilizing a balsa-core carbon spar construction with the built-up wing, per
the Allegro-Lite.

Using Mark Drela'a "spar sizing"  suggestions at:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/allegro2m/spar_sizing.txt
I get a spar that uses .042 and .028 single tapered (to .007) CF laminate
with a spar width of .25" and a spar height of .60" with a .25" steel
wingrod.  This should withstand a "reasonable" winch load for this class of
sailplane, as well as be very light.  In a way, this is a similar to the
"de-rated" spar used on the Allegro-Light-Electric.

All looks good until I get to the estimated tip deflection  calculation.
Yikes!!!  It comes out to be 28 inches!  Not much I can do here... the only
variable I could work with is the spar height, and that can't change.

What does this "tip deflection" mean?  Under what conditions does it occur?
>From the formula d= b^2 sigma / (4Eh), there is no input for wing/winch
load, so I assume that this is the maximum deflection that the _spar_ will
take before failure.  I'm guessing that the D-tube sheeting and LE/TE might
also fail before this maximum spar deflection is reached.

It may not matter, but I'm picking at the details on this building
exercise...

--Bill