>You might want to consider increasing the wingrod size.

I am.  The 1/4" size was chosen for weight considerations, and at best it
was a "conservative" (read:marginal) choice.  I will use 5/16".

On my BoT-to-be, I used a 5/16" wingrod and strengthened the spar with
carbon fiber, end-grain balsa webs and Kevlar wrap.  From calculations,  I
estimate that these changes increased the winch load from about 20 pounds to
80 pounds.

Thie in my "Phase II" KillerBoT (Phase I being dead stock).  Eventually I
will have a Phase X KillerBoT that will take full-pedal zoom launches, float
like a butterfly and sting like a bee, as well as be nice to children and
dogs.  Hopefully my flying skills will catch up to the toy...  :)

--Bill