That is my experience, too.  I built the Highlander as a "high wind" sloper
with a flat wing and ailerons.  At a recent contest held in high winds
(15-30 mph) I took it specifically because it is less-destructable and can
handle wind.  Sadly, I had a pop-off on my first launch, nosed in from ~40'
and stripped the rudder servo.

At 44 oz AUW (11 oz loading) it doesn't work well in light air, but then,
it's a sloper.

--Bill