Fred,

This in no way trying to take anything away from Skip's great flying and
landing but if it ever blew even 10 knots all weekend in Phoenix, we must
fly in Hurricane force winds here in Kansas.  I was there and I do not ever
remember any wind over 5.  Down wind and cross wind landings were definately
the order of business but there is no reason to exagerate on the velocity.
Oh BTW, if anyone was wondering, my landings pretty much sucked most of the
weekend, thus the reason there was 60 pilots with better scores than mine.
Congrats to Skip and all of the other Top 10 Flyers. Great job in
challenging conditions.  I would also like to congratulate David McCarthy
(age 16) who placed 12th overall.  Guys, you better watch your butts, this
guy is coming hard.

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS

However,  to truly appreciate this level of proficiency,  please remember
that the majority of Skip's  landings were occurring during gusty and
turbulent conditions with down wind or cross wind vectors of 10-20 knots.
That's astounding.  The next time you're out practicing landings on a windy
day,  put a 14" circle out as your target and see how consistently you can
park the nose on the spot when it's downwind/crosswind at 15 knots.  Of
course,  you'd probably be a fool to practice in these conditions as damage
to the glider is the usual consequence.