Sorry -J, everything has been tried. As far as ending the ailerons go, the ways I have encountered and the logic that goes with them is as follows:

All the way to the tip - constant chord

Best for planes that need max roll rate. Watch out for tip stall at low speed and flutter at high speed.

Most of the way to the tip - constant chord.

Maximum aileron effectiveness since the aileron is a greater percentage of chord at the tip and therefore produces more lift than the inboard portion. Easiest to measure and \ cut into the wing.

Most of the way to the tip - tapering chord

Drag is equalized along the aileron since it stays (pretty much) a constant percentage of the wing chord. Stay a bit back from the tip to keep from introducing aileron turbulence into the tip vortex (good or bad depending on the logic you prefer)

Most of the way to the tip - tapering to a point

Drag is shifted inboard along the aileron since the aileron becomes less and less a percentage of the wing chord. Less or no aileron turbulence is shunted into the tip vortex.

Most of the way to the tip - with Robertson Tri-aileron (sp?)

Keeps the effectiveness of the aileron while reducing turbulence off the end of the aileron so as not to disturb the tip vortex.

A couple of variations have probably been missed. There is probably additional logic for doing something else also. I just can't think of it right now. If there was one right answer, trust me, everyone would be flying it.

I've flown a number of these configurations and my personal conclusion is that I like whatever is most esthetically pleasing for the plane under construction.

Hope this helps
Rick

At 02:22 PM 11/6/02 -0500, Monkey King wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, kevflys wrote:

>Sorry, I have nothing to pander but I do have a question about
>ailerons, at the tips of the wings,is there any advantage one way or
>the other when hinging if the hinge stops short or goes all the way
>out? Is it mostly for strength at the tip that hinges do not go to
>the end? (Aileron only wing - two servo wing)Thanks in advance.

Increasing the camber at the wingtip causes turbulence there, which causes
a stall.

But this brings up a question of mine: would it be a good idea to have an
aileron taper from root to tip, ending at a point right before the tip of
the wing? It seems to me that this would be more efficient than the
standard rectangle, without the tip-stall feature. The aileron lift would
be greatest at the root and then reduce toward the tip, you see.

Has anyone done this? Does my logic ignore something interesting?

-J

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.