In a message dated 11/27/02 9:19:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[RCSE] Contest Participation

Daryl is right.

Toady's sailplane contests are too focused on long (sometimes lucky) duration or die and tiny spot dorks.

The Triathlon contest format requires more strategy and tolerates less sailplane soaring efficiency and spot landing training.  This format was further improved with the Max-Man contest format presented earlier in RCSD.

We have taken this format to a new level with higher max times up to 15 minutes were landings are scored progressively less toward the 1000 point round maximum.  With a 15 minute flight there are no landing points and the flight is scored only on the precision time.  We recently flew this event at a TULSOAR Club monthly contest and a Sportsman Contestant was second by only six points.  We can send you a spread sheet if you want to consider trying this event.  One disadvantage of this format is the time it takes to complete a round, which is not a problem for small contests.

Dale Nutter