Hey, I'm a firm believer in joining the AMA.  I pay my AMA dues 2
years at a time.  When I made the reference to clubs, I did not  mean
formally sanctioned clubs.  I was trying to give the poster some
contest options.  Of course, AMA clubs would need to ensure that
everyone flying at their field is an AMA member, to the best of their
ability.  And yes, I am quite concerned that an accident could occur
at a flying field.  My hope for the folks that I have met that are
yet to join the academy is that their renters or homeowners insurance
would cover them.  I always do my best to present the academy in a
positive light and encourage them to join.  I'd also feel the same
concern about insurance if rather than flying gliders around the sky
we were playing a game of softball.  But since I fly at public parks,
I'm in no position to force anyone to join anything.

Ryan

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Larry Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You have one mistake. If you are flying at a AMA club site/field.
You are
> required to have AMA. That is part of the charter for that site.
You don't
> have to get a sanction to have a contest. That just protects the
contest
> from another club having the exact same contest on the same day in
the same
> area. You can fly on someone else property if you have permission
to do so.
> They assume you have some kind of insurance to pay for damages that
can
> happen. Like hitting someone, putting their eye out, smashing out a
window
> of a house or car. Running into the power lines and taking out the
power.
> Crashing and having the batteries pop out and short and cause a
fire in the
> field,crops,forest,roof. I can go on about it.
>   You know. Its a nice feeling to know that the guys your flying
with,
> care's enough about your well being by doing something simple as
getting a
> AMA card.
> Larry Taylor    KF6JBG
> E-Mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web   http://home.earthlink.net/~cvrcsoaring/cvrc.htm
> CD for Visalia Fall Soaring Festival 5th and 6th Oct. 2002
> New Club Web Site: www.cvrcsoaring.com

I'm
> > sure he will jump in here with a clarification.
> >
> > Many clubs really have to work hard to acquire a field.  In many
> > cases, this involves petitioning local government organizations or
> > corporations.  Quite similar to proposing a business case.  If the
> > question of liability arises, and it often does, the AMA
insurance is
> > a quick solution.  That's why many clubs insist upon AMA
membership
> > and sanctioning contests.  They are just trying to ensure their
own
> > continued existence.
> >
> > I admit, when I first started flying RC as a college freshman, I
did
> > not have AMA membership.  I now realize it is a nominal fee
towards
> > assuring that the hobby of model airplanes will survive for years
> > come.  The insurance thing is a nice peace of mind, but the AMA
has
> > done many things that you benefit from that you are probably not
> > aware of, such as working with the FCC many years ago to assure
that
> > we have frequencies.  Without some amount of lobbying our
frequencies
> > could easily be overtaken by cellular phones and pagers.
Similarly,
> > the AMA has other cool programs to support special interest groups
> > and junior members.  The cost of the AMA membership/nationals
entry
> > for juniors is literally only a handful of dollars.  I'm happy to
see
> > my membership fee go towards these programs, even if I do not
benefit
> > directly.
> >
> > Aeromodeling can be an expensive hobby.  For most, rather than
jump
> > in all at once they tend to purchase things a bit at a time.  A
> > better charger here, dedicated receivers for each plane, a
workbench
> > tool there, and I'd expect that somewhere along this progression
the
> > AMA membership gets worked in as well.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Stuart Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Does cost for entry into contests ever factor in to
> > nonparticipation rates?
> > > Soaring as a hobby is not all that expensive compared to some,
like
> > boating,
> > > horses or car racing, but for those of us in late 20's/early
30's
> > with young
> > > families those activities are typically out of reach anyway. So
> > often
> > > soaring is the low cost way to get into RC flying.
> > >
> > > I have been put off participating in contests by the AMA
membership
> > fee.
> > > That fee combined with the $10 entry fee to run one round of a
> > contest is
> > > basically the cost of a model kit like a Chrysalis or LilBird.
> > me the
> > > opportunity to compete in the one or two contests held in the
State
> > of
> > > Connecticut each year is not worth it versus getting to buy and
> > build a new
> > > plane during the winter.  For the same reason I will be doing my
> > own LSF
> > > tasks without submitting them - cause you need AMA to be in the
LSF.

> > > Do contests ever *not* require AMA membership?  Besides the
> > insurance (the
> > > value of which has been debated here plenty of times), what does
> > AMA offer a
> > > contest site/organization/director that makes it almost
ubiquitous?

> > > Stuart

MIME