Without opening myself up TOO much, I think there is a bit of truth in the
complaints raised here.... As a third year flier, I am still familiar with
being the 'new guy' at the field.  If it were only for contests, I would
have stopped flying before I ever got started.

The DARTS went out of their way to make me feel welcome.  They showed me
their ships, showed me how to use a winch, explained the different contest
formats, opened me up to what kind of planes were out there, who sold them,
basically opened up this world to me.

Without their  "come on out Saturday, we'll get you up" support  that
finally got my Sagitta in the air, I'd be down at the local gas field flying
an Ugly Stik and dreaming of my first Sukhoi.... It wasn't contests, it
wasn't my first landing for points, it was the first time someone handed me
the sticks of ship that I'd built that really hooked me.   If I wasn't
comfortable in that environment, I never would have come on a Sunday and
flown a contest.

I guess my point is that it's up to us to keep this sport alive - bring a
friend out, help somebody learn, explain different kinds of flying, and talk
to spectators.   Contests are great, but the first step has to be a
knowledgeable flier willing to take the time to share their excitement for
this hobby.  Participation should come from that love of flying.

Happy Thanksgiving all, and thanks to all you who have helped me and others.

Brent