Bob -

Requiring a 1/4" radius reduces the efficacy of the skeg greatly. If it doesn't work
why use it?

I am lobbying against this rule. I believe that it detracts from safety.

I will say that skegs make planes less pleasing asthetically, but that is not a good
reason to make a new rule.

I will agree that our current landings are not pretty, but the skegs have evolved to
make the best of the landing task. If you want to see skegs disappear then you need to
lose the precision landing task.

As a contestant I have spent a lot of time learning how to compete successfully with
the current set of rules. you are asking me to toss some of that skill out and start
learning new tricks. I will resist that, unless I see some benefit.

What is your motivation for this rule?

Safety? If so then you are mistaken.

Aesthetics? If so then I disagree. If I wanted to fly a plane that looked better I'd
blow off the TD tasks and fly scale, but I don't care about scale. I work for the Army
Missile Command RD&E Center. To me there is nothing prettier than a missile center
punching a target at the end of it's flight. If I get to reuse the missile a few
hundred times that's great.

Trying to modify the tasks to make it easier for you to compete? Sorry, it won't work.
You're still gonna get beat by  guys like Kiesling or Bacus, no matter what the task
winds up being. If you want to win you'd better spend less time worrying about the
rules and more time practising precision landings. And bring your skeg.

happy trails - Rob Glover