I completely agree with Simon, Klaus and others that skegs are crutches for most of us who can't land without them on the ridiculous runways for lawn darts often used in major US contests.

We should adopt the FAI landing rules in US duration contests and forget skegs.  Small (~1" high, 1/4" wide rounded) skids are quite sufficient for the FAI landing plan if you know how to land in a reasonable space. This would be much easier on our sailplanes and ourselves.

Dale Nutter

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:56:44 -0800
From: Simon Van Leeuwen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Klaus Weiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Soaring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SKEG's and Actual Piloting Skill

I have read here that the landing task is too easy, basically making it
a landing contest. Skegs could be considered an external aid (like a
crutch) to assist landing accurately.

It would sure be interesting to observe how an individual's flying skill
would increase if they actually had to manage the energy to land
accurately and on time without one. I would have thought that most would
have come to this conclusion, and made the landing task more difficult
by removing this "landing aid" to make the whole process more
challenging and no doubt more enjoyable.

The argument that a skeg prevents sliding through the landing area and
the dangers associated with this just points out that that particular
aircraft is out of control.