10 seconds? You need to be closer to 5 to be competitive. I lucked out at
our last contest when a turbulent thermal pinged me off at 2 seconds.
Fortunately, I rode the same thermal out for a 9:56, my personal best!

-----Original Message-----
From: tony estep [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:00 AM
To: Soaring
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Pierce Paragon vs Pierce 97-

--- Jerry Krainock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The 970 was designed in an era when we used 6 volt winches and
floated the gliders off the top of the line....

Ah yes, how soon we forget. Was that soaring heaven, or are we zooming
to soaring heaven today?

The difference is best illustrated in the F3J event. Planes are on tow
for only 10 seconds. In that time, they must accelerate to speeds of 90
mph or more in order to gain enough altitude in the zoom. Performance
on tow becomes the operative design criterion, as Joe W pointed out in
his comments on designing the Icon.

My personal view is that it's fun to zoom 'em. I have lots of RES
planes but no Nostalgia planes for that very reason. But the enduring
popularity of planes that won't take a zoom launch must mean something.

MIME turned off.

The information in this electronic mail message is sender's business
Confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the
addressee(s).  Access to this Internet electronic mail message by anyone
else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and
its attachments could have been infected during  transmission. By reading
the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full
responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and
other defects. Galileo International is not liable for any loss or damage
arising in any way from this message or its attachments.