David J. Butkovich wrote:
I've noticed when flying at various fields and using different clubs
equipment that everything is fairly standard except when it comes to
attaching a retriever line.   Some clubs attach two or three swivels, one or
two welded rings, some leave the parachutes on others incorporate a short
streamer.  Some of these clubs have real problems with "birds nests" etc.
Some clubs have no problems.
What is your choice of hardware and what order do you attach them?

One Hi-Catch double ball bearing swivel with escape-proof "snap" (though it isn't a "snap" they call it that) from Melton Tackle, rated for 300 lbs. The line ties to this. I over-rated the swivel to make sure it can spin under dry load when a bit dirty (swivels are meant to operate clean and water lubricated).

One Signal Air parachute from NSP, with built-in swivel (looks
like a Sampo single-ended ball-bearing).  Hi-Catch "snap"
connects to this swivel.

One King Chain 1 inch stainless steel welded harness ring from
hardware store (Home Depot and others carry the line) replaces
the Signal Air supplied tow ring.

Since my turnaround is a beautiful Winch Doctor one, I cut the
Hi-Catch swivel off at the end of the day before spooling the
line up.  I don't want the swivel dragging across the ground
either, and then slamming into the turnaround.  The swivel is
too large to pass through the turnaround anyways.

If the line breaks, I tie a barrel knot to splice it back
together.

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada