--- Ron Scharck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Editor and/or Webmaster:
> If your club  publishes an
> electronic version of your newsletter, via e-mail or website...

> Our club is in the process of making this transition. Needless to
> say, there has been a bit of "discussion" regarding the pros and
> cons....

Ron, our club (Mississippi Valley Soaring Association) has about 40
members. For many years we sent out printed newsletters, but a couple
of years ago we went to posting them only on the website. This was not
the best decision, but it was made partly to save costs and partly to
accommodate me. I'm the editor. I have time to make a newsletter, but
not to print and mail them. So we put them on the club site
(www.mvsaclub.com) and I made them nice and pretty.

At the end of last year, we concluded that the lack of hard-copy
letters appearing in members' mailboxes was causing some of our
less-active members to lose interest in the club. We found a volunteer
to print and mail them. I compose and edit, then email to him and he
produces the physical letters. To save costs, we reduced the size of
the letter and simplified the format, so today's letter doesn't look as
spiffy as the older ones (you can see both kinds on the website).
However, it does get mailed out, and people like it.

I believe that the arrival of a hard-copy letter just before a meeting
or a club fly-in increases attendance. Not all of our members are
Internet users, and of those who are, many use dial-up connections.

We have been sending out printed letters again for only 3 months, so I
can't tell you whether or not it has sparked new member interest. But I
believe it will.

Let us hear about your experience as you change over, if that's the
direction you decide to go.

Good luck!
Tony Estep
MVSA