Yep, people are leaving the hobby.
The numbers are down for golf too.
Does making the task easier keep the attraction? NO
Make things too easy and people lose interest as well.
People will lose interest because they want instant gratification.

You want to eliminate the landing or minimize it and have fun???? FLY F3B!!!
It has a landing that is 100 points for a 1 meter radius, and drops by 5 for every meter.
So you can get some points without having to dork it. Landing is only important during TD portion and isn't present in speed or distance.

You want more fun? Fly XCountry.... F3J, combat, Slope race. Each of those disciplines mentioned will get the adrenaline pumped. But please don't tell me that the landing task makes it boring (because it is the same old thing) Removing the landing task will do nothing to add to the excitement. The top pilots will make their times, so it certainly is not boring to add landings. Besides ever watch some out of control landing???? It's not boring.... 8>)

Jack Womack wrote:

Have a CD license, run large contests, etc... I know
what they are like. I also know that we have folks
that are stone cold bored with the same old thing.
Like someone else posted, this has been this way since
1971 or longer. I left this hobby from shear boredom
in 1980 and just came back 4 years ago to guess
what... the same old thing... It still boils down to
this: If you want to run a contest, you set the task.
If it's the same old thing and you have no turn out or
a great turn out, it's still the same old thing. If
the task is published ahead of time, and it's the same
old thing, I may come but I may find something else to
do. If it's something different that peaks my
interest, I'll probably break my neck to get there,
just to see if it works.

Jack Womack

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Chuck, once again experience speaks loud and clear.

Let those who have better ideas step up to the
pump, get their CD license, and run some serious contests, like the Soaring
Nats, the Southwest Classic, etc, try these new ideas and find out what the
contestants really like and what really works, and then if they still like their new
landing or not landing schemes, get involved in a rules change.

Just stop whining and get on with life.

Regards, Dave Corven, AMA 878, LSF254 and damn near Level 5.

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.

-- Jeff Steifel