Tim Bennett wrote:

I agree with Michael. The motor side is the place to limit pull on the winch line, if that is what is desired.

There is a simple technique that I have heard has been tried with some
success in the past. It involves mounting the winch on a spring loaded
pivoting device that electrically limits the force on the line.

Personally, I find a Stainless Steel ruler makes a perfect resistor.

For launching my 2m woodie, I use a 15" SS ruler trimmed and with holes
about 12" apart (adjustable), bent and fitted between the solenoids.
Costs under $5 CDN, and easily available.

It gets hot, so beware, and keep it clean ... and don't forget to
remove the cork backing (peels off nicely with a heatgun, and
Goo Gone takes care of any adhesive residue) or it will burn.

--
Andrew E. Mileski