That's the probelm with employing a NiCD charger that peak-detects for NiCD
instead of NiMH. NiMH are endomthermic, while NiCD technology is exothermic.
This means as an NiCD becomes fully charged, the increase in heat causes an
increase in internal resistance, which lowers the charge V, which trips the
peak-detect circuitry.

Efficient cells like the KAN's do not induce a voltage depression adequate
enough to trip the peak-detect, so the charger keeps pumping in the current.
NiCD chargers are great at ruining perfectly good NiMH cells. Then the cells
get blamed for poor performance...

Quoting Regis White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I bought an Alpha 4 about six or seven years ago and have been quite
> happy with it.  But (there is always a but) it did not have a
> separate discharge function – it only cycled (once).  NiCads like to
> be left discharged I have been led to believe.  Ni-MH on the other
> hand like to be fully charged – and can be harmed if fully
> discharged.  So I have replaced most of my NiCads.  What I learned
> was that I could not safely charge them on the Alpha 4 'Peak'
> function or even the 'c/10' function – only the 'Fast charge'
> function.  Recently I acquired two KAN Ni-MH 7 cell packs and was
> surprised to find that the Alpha 4 could not automatic charge them
> safely – they got very hot.  Since both packs got very hot, I suspect
> the KAN cells are just not compatible with Alpha 4 technology (which
> is easily 20 years old).  (I mean we can plug in a cell phone to
> charge and just forget it.)   Is there something about the KAN type
> cells that are different or is this an anomaly?  Regis
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Brian Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > At 2:46 PM -0800 11/8/04, Bill Malvey wrote:
> >
> >   I use the Schulze isl 6-330d to charge them, from 4 cells to 30
> > cells. It is self regulated and when the charger beeps, it is fully
> > charged, 98%-100%. The AA 1650 mah is charged about 1-1.2C, the
> > 2600mah is charged at 2.2C(5.5-5.8 amp). One chager takes care of
> all
> > the batteries(I am not saying that is the only charger I own!). The
> > charger also charges and discharges Nicad, Nimh, Lipo, LiIon, Lead
> > acid.
> >
> > Brian

> "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
> subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
> turned off.

Radius Systems
Cogito Ergo Zoom