First kit sailplane was a Javelin ~ 1972 (??). Rolled plywood fuselage,
built up D-tube wing, standard class. Designed and kitted by Bob Boucher of
Astro-Flight (I think). Got Levels 1 and 2 and then flew it away over the
mountains out at SBDO at one of our early ISS events. Great plane and very
rugged.

Most 'fun' first plane was flying the 1st Gentle Lady prototype  built by Al
fredricks. Al, Dave Fredricks, Carl, Hi Johnson and I all took off  one
afternoon and found a little arroyo near Sun Valley for the first flight. (I
think
Paul Trist was working on the other prototype but couldn't make the outing
that day.) The plane worked great and we passed the sticks around. No one had
any idea it was going to be as successful as it proved. We were just a bunch of
 guys having fun that day.

Al had told Carl the balsa vertical stab  support was too fragile and should
be changed out for spruce. Carl said he was  already tooled up and couldn't
change it. After about 7 successful flights, we  snapped off the vertical stab
in a ground loop and went home.

Carl never  changed to spruce.

- Dave R

Jeez - that means I'm the only living survivor of the first flight of the
Gentle Lady? That's kinda depressing!