Here in the Ohio, MI, IN area, many of the monthly and sanctioned contests
have two skill levels, Expert and novice ( or any name you want to apply to
this group).  Usually it is broken down by LSF level three or four as the
divider and /or with contest wins record of each individual.  This seems to
work well for bringing out the newer guys, they fight it out amongst
themselves and love it. OVSS is a good example.

It is a little bit like guys asking what is the best Nostalgia plane.  The
vendors come out and say their stuff is the best, guys that haven't flown
other NOS designs will say the one they fly is the best and by the time the
thread wears out, the same old conclusion is reached, it is the pilot that
wins contests.

If you look at the win record of Jack Iafret's Nos AMA/LSF Nats contest, the
type of plane that places first thru third in the event is all over the
spectrum of old designs.  From OLY ll (flat bottom airfoil), Challenger
(Clark Y airfoil w/flaps), Grand Esprit (flat bottom airfoil), can't
remember the others. So it remains in all types of contests, it is the
skilled pilot most times that wins, the two skill level approach is very
well received by both groups and adds a little motivation to the skilled
pilots to help the novice group.

Ray Hayes
http://www.skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters