George,

A source of problems that I have encountered that can be very intermittent and masquerade as a battery or interference problem is a bad solder joint. Sometimes they show up early and sometimes it takes them years to develop. I don't know how your harness is made up but it is worth considering particularly if the un commanded flap deployment is a recent phenomena.

Hope this helps
Rick

At 09:14 AM 1/4/2005 -0800, George Gillburg wrote:

> 4.1 V is low, but I think you just stalled the plane by removing the > camber, when it is low and slow.

Possible, but I had the nose well down to bring it back and it was moving well. I had earlier in the flight had an uncommaned flap deployment (just one flap) which in the past has been a sign of weak battery in the plane.

> > Also check for control surface binding. Put a current meter between > the battery and the switch. turn on the plane and see how much > current it pulls. Then repeat that measurement at the extreme travel > on all control surfaces.

That's how I did it. I put the meter between the battery and the switch and then read the current. I checked the current with just the two fuselage servos and then plugged in one wing servo at a time, thinking it more likely for a wing servo to bind up. The change in current for each servo was pretty much the same, ranging from 120 ma to 2-300 ma. When I had all six servos plugged in, the drain ranged from a low of about 60 ma when everything was quiet to about 1300 ma when I stirred the sticks to move all the servos at the same time. What doing this on the bench doesn't replicate is servo response to moving the surfaces under air loads but I'm just not set up to do that. Who is?

George Gillburg
Bakersfield, California

Richard A. Eckel, PE, NSPE Eckel & Associates, Inc. 1757 W. Broadway St. Suite 3 Oviedo, FL 32765 Professional Engineering for Petroleum Facilities Office: 407-366-8852 Cell: 954-775-6027 [EMAIL PROTECTED]