From: Bill Johns [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: January 18, 2005 2:09 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Subject: close encounters of the aircraft kind: was Re: [RCSE] High
Altitude Glider
I fly in rolling hill country.  Last season I was out by myself with a
2M.  I had the plane waaaay up but not too far out and was puttering about
when I heard a serious sound come up very quickly, I glanced over my
shoulder and was looking right at a big radial-powered ag plane.  The plane
was just over the high spots of the hills heading right for where my plane
was.   I was much higher than he was.  I quickly turned to a flight path
perpendicular to his and started a shallow dive to get out of the area.  I
paint all my tail feathers a bright yellow for visibility.  I know he saw
my plane as he immediately corrected so as to go in the opposite direction
to my plane.  It was over all so very quickly.

After that I heard him in the area, but he stayed very clear of the field I
was flying from.

Yet another test of the ol' adrenaline pump.

Bill Johns
web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format