Hi Simon:

I do not agree with most of your points and we can agree to disagree. I am in
academia and we have a different view of plagerism.  I can assure you that
cheating in university classes is more rampant in the last twenty years than it
was 20 years before that.  I am certain that the very many CEO's who cheated
stockholders learned that they could get away with it because other had a who
cares attitude - not im my back yard. I can cite peer reviewed papers for you
to read about increased cheating.

To be sure, many modelers have agreed with me than the two who disagreed that
cloning Don Clark's device in his day would not have be accepted as you so
state.  I am old fashioned and do believe in Gentleman's agreements. (Hell I
taught in British style boarding schools with a "handshake with the Headmaster
for a contact" for more than 30 years.)

The devices today are not clones of Don's device! I really do not know what Don
would have done/said and I am not sure anyone else does!  We just live in
different worlds.
cheers,
Jim

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:33:46 +0000, Simon Van Leeuwen wrote:

> [...]
> could be ticked if I elected to think the glass was half empty. I should
> have covered my butt and went through the motions to protect my
> designs...right? More likely I would be flattered. The fact is it is
> "my" choice not yours.
>
> The person who copies something like a model aircraft plan? Who is hurt
> by this? You? The originator? Neither. The market is not large enough,
> nor is it make or break for the originator whether he/she survives or
> slides into the ditch. Are the original designer's plans still available
> from him/her, then the copier is not going to do very well I would
> suggest. Is this right? Who are you or I to decide on the designer's
> behalf? If the originator did not like the fact his/her design was
> copied, they then can (and should) secure the right to act in such a
> manner to protect their work.
>
> This is not new, nor is the premise that today's society is somehow
> worse than yester-years. Modeler's pride? The very same thing has
> occured before you were born, in your day, and all days to come.
>
> The value of "gentlemanly behavior" is in the eyes of the beholder.
> Modern versions of the thermal sniffler are being produced. Is this
> wrong? Not-at-all. If the glass is half full, Don might have been
> motivated to introduce another version with more features if anoter
> version came out similar to his. Either way, it would have been his, and
> only his decision to criticize if he chose, not yours.
>
> Someone who makes money off of someone else's work, who cares but those
> who choose to buy or...not! Neither is right or wrong.
>
> Someone who take another's work and (publically) calls it their own, as
> in plagiarism, that is wrong.
>

> JIM EALY wrote:
>
> > Colleagues:
> >
> > I have read this thread also with great interest. I was also surprised to
read
> > some of the unfair comments about the care and feeding of kit builders or
those
> > who support fair play.  I've posted on several occasions a request to not
buy
> > plans from several EBAYERS who not only pirate MA, MAN, FM, RCM, Bob Holman,
> > John Pond, etc but make multiple copies of plans and the mag article and
sell
> > mass copies on Ebay.
> >
> > If the lawyers/modelers want to help the hobby, why not turn your expertise
> > stopping plans and plans/patterns, short kit cloners. The present copyright
law
> > gives the copyright holder life +70 years for heirs to collect royalties.
> >
> > I was told under-no-uncertain terms by one of the respondents who has been
> > rightfully criticized ".....that I should just be glad that the plans are
> > available......and the cloner was doing me a BIG favor...."
> >
> > I also wrote earlier about "modeler's pride", during the 60-80's no modeler
> > would have considered, or remained a club member, cloning Don Clark's
Thermal
> > Sniffler. I am sad to see that this trust has not only disappeared, but the
> > whole idea laughed at.
> > IMHO and TIA for the bandwidth
> > Jim
> >

> > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:50:24 +0000, "Brian Courtice" wrote:
> >

> >>Brian, Well said, but as I have been told by many wise
> >>people, he feeds off of this stuff.........
> >>Patrick Conway
> >>
> >>You're probably right Patrick. I‘ve always believed that if you can’t
> >>say something nice, don’t say anything, so you will very rarely see me
> >>posting critical comments.
> >>
> >>It just really irks me to have Gordy interrupt a thread I was following
> >>with considerable interest, just to have him tell me that the thread is
> >>spam, and by the way, "I’m in Tennessee this week and I’m having
> >>transmission problems."
> >>
> >>Now that’s important! No spam there.
> >>
> >>My 1999 Ford Ranger needs a brake job. Should I alert the list?
> >>

> >>--
> > subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with
MIME
> > turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are
> > generally NOT in text format
> >

> > Jim Ealy
> > Education by Demonstration
> > RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that