Hi!

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Dan Kitching wrote:

Maybe I missed an earlier post of yours, but pray tell, what is this mysterious compressor of yours?

I'm considering a purchase of a 1/3hp Embraco compressor (refrigerator compressor) to serve double duty as a quiet compressor for my airbrushing and as a vacuum pump for bagging stuff. I can get them here in Canada for $150 brand new. If it'll work, the price is right !!!

Mine is also refrigerator compressor. I got it for free from the place that removes freon from the old refrigerators before they scraped. They had pile of compressors there, the one that worked well was fourth that I tried - one had electrical leakage inside, one had air leakage inside, one did not start at all and the fourth was ok. If you can get used units cheaply, but are worried about the reliablity, you can always put a check valve between the pump and bag and run two units in parallel.

I think that new refrigerator compressor will work well as a vacuum pump. I do not know nothing about airbrushing.

BTW, if you can select your compressor select one that is designed for high starting torque. Those compressors are able to start even when there is partial vacuum on the suction side. The low starting torque compressors will not start when there is vacuum on the suction side and require pressure equalization tubing between suction and pressure sides in real refrigerators. LST compressor can still be used for continous run.

Also, there are low back pressure, medium back pressure and high back pressure compressors - I did not completely understand what is the difference.

Danfoss has very good documentation on their website. Go to www.danfoss.com, Products, Refrigeration and A/C, Compressors, Hermetic Compressors. Select Literature tab and open the Instruction/User guide hive. "Mounting Instructions for Danfoss Compressors" is good reading if you are rebuilding old unit - lots of this info applies to all refrigerator compressors. "Refrigeration - an Introduction to the Basics" will explain how to build your own refrigerator and save even more :)

Arne