John,
    Just my 2 cents on the matter.  First, for competition, the F3J format
(minus the "organic towers" - just use winches as the NATs does) is the
best.  Why not 4 days with as many rounds as can be flown per day for the
first 3 days, then one more round to start the 4th day followed by three
rounds of the top n fliers ("n" to be determined).  Second, let's address
the size and class issue.  Why not fly unlimited, 2 meter, and RES combined
where fliers in a particular class are only competing against others in
their class.  Note that this would probably mean a flier would only compete
in one class throughout the 4 days.  At the end, there would be class
winners.  Now I know that the first objection would be the class mix and
MOM.  Yes, it's true that an RES or 2M flier might find themselves the only
pilot with that class in a flight group, but with the large number of round
flown, I feel this would even out. Of course maybe, somewhere in the
recesses of someone's mind, is an algorithm for establishing MOM flight
groups for each class .  An event like this would allow lots of flying -
something everyone wants.  By the way, the extra round on the 4th day would
help keep everyone there until "the last dog was shot".
    If this event caught on, I could see it either moving about the country
or occurring in multiple locations.
        Thanks for starting a most interesting thread,
                Jim Deck