My favorite is also rather embarrassing.

When I was younger, I built a series of Gentle Lady gliders.  My first
ended in disaster shortly after getting finished.

I used to fly in the back yard of a junior high school.  There was
plenty of room to fly there.

I had flight-tested the Gentle Lady with a few hand launches, trimmed it
out, etc.  At the time, I knew nothing of "tow hook under the CG", I
just put it where the manufacturer said it should have been.  To this
day, I still do not know what I did wrong, but...

I stretched out the surgical tubing, hooked onto the glider, and let it
go.  It went up, kinda/sorta stalled, nosed over to the left, and went
straight down to the ground.  After hitting pretty hard, it was then
dragged along the grass, through a football dummy (pieces flew
everywhere!), through another dummy, and finally came to rest as the
rubber no longer had any stretch in it.  There seemed to be more balsa
and Monokote scattered throughout the field than I ever remember seeing
in the box.

Needless to say, my newfound fear of hi-starts encouraged me to build
and mount a .049 engine pod for the next Gentle Lady I built.

Ironically, I also have had my best flight with a hi-start.  Last
summer, I had my first hour+ flight (about 1:20, this time a 7037
Compulsion) off a hi-start.
-       Dave