One point I haven't seen addressed in this thread is the possibility of
damage to the charger.  I have both Futaba and JR radios in my shop and have
had the experience Scobie had a couple of times (slow learner, I guess).
The batteries in the transmitter were not measurably damaged, but the
wallwart chargers were ruined.