Cameron,
Formation charges are required for preparing new NiMh packs. You simply charge the pack at a current level equal to 1/10th of the pack capacity for around 12-16 hours. For example, a 1000mAh pack would be charged at 100mAh for 12-16 hours. A 2200mAh pack would be charged at 220mAh. On my Hobbico charger, I use the 250mAh setting. It's not too critical. Just try to get close.

Due to manufacturing variances, all battery cells of the same type are not truly identical. When put together in a pack and charged, some will charge faster and peak early, which will fool most modern peak detecting chargers, leaving the laggard cells in a state of partial charge. Slow charging at capacity/10 allows all the cells in a pack to get fully charged without causing a thermal crisis in the cells that have peaked early. After 2-3 charge/discharge cycles like this, the cells reach a sort of equilibrium, charging and discharging together at relatively similar rates. This is what you are trying to achieve with the initial formation charges. You want all the cells in your pack to peak at the same time, and discharge at the same rate. Once the pack is conditioned like this, you can use the peak detecting fast chargers with no problem.

Cheers,

--Jim