On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 02:53:06PM -0700, Albert E. Wedworth wrote:

| ^The FAA advisory currently limits us to 400'.^
| That would be around airports not at the flying field.

You're probably thinking of the AMA rules.  The FCC advisory in
question says something different.  Read it yourself at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/540-C.pdf.

The relevant section reads --

   c. Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the
   surface. When flying aircraft within 3 miles of an airport, notify the
   airport operator, or when an air traffic facility is located at the
   airport, notify the control tower, or flight service station.

But yes, this is advisory, not law.

   1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary
   compliance with, safety standards for model aircraft operators.

It's also 24 years old.  Not that this stuff has changed much (though
the advistory does seem to assume that all model airplanes make lots
of noise) but it shows how the FAA has pretty much left us alone.
(As it should be.)

But yes, I think it would be a very good thing to let Dave Brown know
what you think of his proposed altitude limits.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
is the address he gives in the piece, so that would seem to be the
appropriate place to send your thoughts.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sometimes the only way to win is not to play