Martin,

You are way out of line here. I know you don't represent the sentiment and perception of the vast majority of the folks on this list. It seems you aren't even a pilot since you didn't talk about the airspace regs and minimum elevation above ground in congested areas. Noisy polluting things you say. Give me a break. By the way when was the last time an airport was built next to an existing community? Usually, if not every time it is the development of property around existing airports and runways that expose the populous to the "noise and pollution". They move close to an airport and then complain. If I had my way I would live in an airport community, music to my ears, and fun to watch, and great people to be associated with.

As for Daryl overreacting....I am probably the one guy on this list who has the most time in the right seat with Daryl as Pilot in Command. Let me tell you this. I am a very critical flyer. I have been around general aviation for my entire life. My father was a pilot in Alaska, and we always had a small plane. My uncles, and cousins are currently flying both on the private side and the commercial side in Alaska and my uncle owns a charter service called Kenai Aviation. With all of this experience behind me I say that I feel as comfortable with Daryl as I do with my family in a small plane. Daryl knows this since I have told him the same thing. Daryl did not in my opinion OVER react. He did react, and I am glad he did. It is our responsibility as Larry Jolly mentions, to preserve our right to fly model airplanes, and Daryl brought the issue directly to the correct forum.

So, if you were just sitting back just throwing out fodder for the list to read and respond to, congratulations you hit the nerve. Not a real difficult one to identify though.

Please fly safe and be a responsible RC pilot. A nonchalant attitude like yours could be very detrimental to our little hobby.

Sincerely,

Mike Smith

At 08:56 PM 10/10/2005, you wrote:
>And who the bleep are YOU, mystery model flyer, to expose other people to risk against their will and knowledge? (MSul1048321)

While I can't condone anyone flying near full sized planes I think you're overreacting. There are such things are birds up there, lots of them, and they're going to do a lot more damage to a plane than a foam wing (which, due to its design, is not going to do much damange to anything that it hits). A bird will damage a plane but you don't see many reports on the NTSB database of accidents resulting from a bird strike. I don't think theres a single report of an accident or incident caused by a model (ecept for some moron versus a blimp a few years ago, but that was deliberate).

I've never been in a position to put this to the test -- and I really don't want to ever get into this position -- but I think that if a model got close to an airplane then the wash -- the air displaced by the plane -- would push it to one side so the collision would be at worst glancing. It a propellor hit it then there would be no model -- propellors are quite tough things -- and I suspect that a small model going into a large jet engine would disappear without trace (they test for this sort of thing -- you can't have a plane exploding and falling out of the sky because an engine ingested some debris). So like the rabbit crossing the road, the biggest danger the GA pilot would have would be trying to swerve around the model and losing it.....but then you're really not supposed to try doing that in a plane.

While we're in rant mode I should remark that some GA pilots tend to bend the rules -- they fly too close to the ground in built-up areas, nice view but they're getting in the way of our models (not to mention that their planes are noisy, dirty, polluting things -- old school unsilenced engines with no emissions control and leaded fuel --gross, like ancient lawnmowers they creak across the sky making a darned nuisance of themselves). Yes, I know they cost you a lot of money to buy and fly and they do appear to be inherently dangerous but if you can't get into an out of airfields without bothering the neighbors then maybe its time to drive (after all, most accidents seem to be caused by pilots trying to fly slightly beyond their skill levels -- in this case it seems that the skill level needed for this approach was right on the edge for this pilot if he's going to get fazed by a chunk of packing foam. You can't be too careful with aircraft -- sometimes its more fun to sit on the ground and fly the thing by proxy. (Cheaper, too)

Martin Usher