-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Barnes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 9:10 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Radio

John

We have very little to disagree about. I too think that the hobby would
benefit from having more scratch builders. At least half the fun for me and
many scratch builders is the building part of the hobby. That is why I and
many scratch builders spend hours online and elsewhere talking about scratch
building techniques.

I also have great respect for Ray Hayes and the woody contests that he
promotes. I only have a very slight knowledge of that aspect of the hobby
since that is not where my interests lie but I have enough knowledge to
recognize that he is doing a great service to the hobby by promoting that
aspect.

The woody class and the hard-core-all-out competition-no-holds-barred type
of contest are simply two very different things. Rays offer for having a
woody class contest at the soaring masters would be akin to someone else
suggesting a molded plane class at a woody contest. I'm guessing that kind
of offer would also fall on deaf ears. I think our only area of disagreement
is that I don't think the lack of a response to Ray's offer indicates any
lack of respect. It is simply indicative of the total split between the two
soaring disciplines. Each of the two disciplines has scratch builders.

Phil