This fix in the 4.2->4.3 OpenBSD changelog might possibly be relevant -
are you running with -current or a numbered version?:

Fix for vr(4) to handle I/O accesses chipsets which do not have PCI
power management capabilities

I would hope that pluging/unpluging the cable might lead the driver to
try and affect the power supplied to the device.

JC