On Apr 19, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:

> I have a Net4801-60 (256MB RAM) with OpenBSD 4.2 that sometimes gets
> no link with either cross-over or straight-through cables.
>
> Sometimes it's enough to simply switch to a different cable of the
> same type.  Other times, even though the cables are good (have used
> them with these and other devices) there is no link anyway.  Other
> times, the port will work with those cables but only when connected
> to a different device.

> The link status lights on the Ethernet ports are normally are green
> (100baseT), but individual ports (usually only 1-3 of the 5) will go
> to yellow (10baseT) and stay that way.  Or be off all together.

That sounds like autonegotiation is failing. It could be the other
device that's having problems, or just the combination of the two.

Try configuring media manually, and then watch the error counters to
see if there's any trouble maintaining the link. If not, then
autonegotiation just isn't working; if so, then there's probably a
physical problem with one of the devices.