On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:57:31AM -0700, Jordan Share wrote:
>Also, if you google "ethernet autonegotiation", the first hit is a best
>practices guide from Sun which argues 'The notion of "autonegotiation is
>unreliable" can no longer be substantiated.'

Irony, since in many cases it's peoples' experience with old (buggy) sun
gear that led them to this notion that hard-coding everything is a good
idea.  :-)  Anyway, my two cents are that these days more problems are
caused by people hard-coding things based on experience from ten years
ago than are caused by autonegotiation. It's definitely the case that
botching the hard-coding process (mismatching the two ends, including
hard-coding only one end) will lead to heartache.

Mike Stone