Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
>>> That sounds like autonegotiation is failing. It could be the other
>>> device that's having problems, or just the combination of the two.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>      I'm sorry, but autonegotiation is a myth. In the real world
>> it is more dangerous than it does good. I ran a managed server hosting
>> company for 9 years, and every item in there was all hardcoded with speed
>> and duplex. Even Cisco said between routers of the same make/model there
>> were auto issues.
>
> The 802.3ab specification does not allow for forced configuration
> auto-negotiation disabled configuration of 1000base-t. you will find
> that you need auto-negotiation where you like it or not when gigabit
> ethernet is involved.
>
>>      My life has been much happier since. :)
>
> Perhaps...

One gotcha with autonegotiation is that both sides have to do it for it
to work.  If one side tries to auto, while the other is hardcoded, the
auto side will "fail safe" and go to 100-half (even if the otherside is
hardcoded to 100-full), potentially causing duplex problems.

Also, if you google "ethernet autonegotiation", the first hit is a best
practices guide from Sun which argues 'The notion of "autonegotiation is
unreliable" can no longer be substantiated.'

Jordan