I'm new to this platform, and embedded computing as well and I want to build
a router for my home network. Right now I'm using Smoothwall on an old
Gateway system.

I'd like to stay with that, or maybe try pfsense or possibly roll my own
using Debian. I run a small network with about 3-5 machines which includes a
webserver, an iMac, two laptops, and another linux desktop.

I also have a dedicated switch and WAP. Based on my needs, what would be the
best Soekris solution to get? I'm interested in the Net5501 but I feel it
might be slightly overkill for what I need and it is a bit pricey....

Also, are there any guides out there on setting up linux, pfsense, or
smoothwall on these devices?

tnx
Stephen