On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:08:40PM -0400, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
>    I'm new to this platform, and embedded computing as well and I want to
>    build a router for my home network. Right now I'm using Smoothwall on
>    an old Gateway system.
>    I'd like to stay with that, or maybe try pfsense or possibly roll my
>    own using Debian. I run a small network with about 3-5 machines which
>    includes a webserver, an iMac, two laptops, and another linux desktop.
>    I also have a dedicated switch and WAP. Based on my needs, what would
>    be the best Soekris solution to get?

Is your need to make an embedded box just to replace the firewall, or an
embedded box to perform the webserver function as well?

If it's the former, and you have a very tight budget, you could look at
using OpenWrt on a compatible consumer access point like the Buffalo
WHR-G54S (around $50). It has 4MB flash, 16MB RAM, a MIPS processor, a
5-port VLAN-capable switch and 802.11 wifi, and uses squat power. OpenWrt is
a compact Linux distro, so your firewalling would be iptables.

The main advantages of going the Soekris / Alix / RouterBoard route are,
depending on the model you choose:
- larger flash space (e.g. interchangable CF card)
- internal hard drive support
- PCI and/or miniPCI expansion slots
- familiar i386 platform, so you can use the same distro as your desktop
  systems

It's up to you which of these points are important to you, and hence whether
you are prepared to pay for them.

If you are just looking for a learning experience, then OpenWrt has a lot to
offer. After downloading, just a simple 'make' will build the entire
environment, including all the cross-compiling tools. You can then install
your choice of packages using 'ipkg install ...'. And it's not just for
MIPS; you can build it for the Soekris too.

HTH,

Brian.