On Mon, July 28, 2008 1:26 pm, Marc Balmer wrote:
> * Chris Babcock wrote:
>> Can those LVC units be used for as a GPS reference time source for NTP?
>
> Yes.  They output NMEA sentences, are fully (and easily) configurable
> and provide a PPS signal (which has to be turned on by sending the
> unit some commands).

The ntpd NMEA driver is "atomized", meaning it will use the PPS signal if
applied to the DTR pin (by default, you can specify CTS if needed).  I
observed on my setup that this will typically keep it synced to within
10-15 microseconds.  If you don't mind voiding your warranty on the
Net4501 you can solder a wire connecting the R62/R62 junction to a GPIO
pin and driving that with the PPS you can get down to within about 1.5
microseconds, the limiting factor being temperature-dependent clock drift.
 If you really want to go nuts, you can remove the oscillator and replace
it with a precision frequency source.  Take a look at
<http://www.febo.com/pages/soekris/>.  I made my connections slightly
differently, but haven't written it up yet.  The oscillator hack is
probably overkill when using a GPS 18 LVC, which is only specified to be
accurate to 1 microsecond on the PPS.

Truly impressive when for the cost of a Net4501 plus $60 US or so for the
GPS 18 LVC you can get this level of accuracy.

Ralph