On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:39:29 -0400 (EDT), Jed Clear wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Jed Clear wrote:
>> If you'd rather not mess around with getting power from pin 10, and aren't
>> otherwise using your USB connector, it is a +5V source, with enough
>> hampsters for the LVC, at least with no internal HDD.  Cutting up a spare
>> USB cable is probably the easiest way to get connected there.  This also
>> lets you use a standard 2x5 to DE-9 cable for COM2:.  Of course if you're
>> putting a 2x5 header on the LVC cable anyway, never mind.
>
>Forgot to add that I put DE-9 and USB connectors on my GPS 18 so I could
>move it between different PCs.  Moving it around is necessary since Garmin
>updates firmware via MSWindows and my Soekris is MS free.
>
>-Jed

I have been doing a bit of work to make a small box that has a 15 pin
connector to take either a 18-LVC or a 17-HVC as input and drives 2
RS232 outputs, one of which can "talk back". Power is obtained using a
USB cable with a B socket on the box with only Gnd and +5 connected.
 The RS232 signals from the GPS are buffered with the neat little
charge pump internal +/- supplied Max chips so no need to provide them
with anything but 5V.

To drive the HVC units a few extra components go on the board to pump
the 5V to 12V but the cables terminate differently so that you won't
kill a LVC unit if you have the 12V on board.

The schematics are hand drawn atm and the prototype is not finished due
POW but my 17 is on a 3m mast ready to clamp onto a gable end to get a
good view of the sky.

I'm keen to get it going but I have to make a quid to stay alive. More
news when it's done.

Anybody want to do the PCB layout? Probably single sided if we are not
averse to a jumper or two....

Off-list replies (if you must) should go to the reply-to address. The
sender address is a tarpit except for the list servers. Don't get stuck
;-))

R/

Rod/
/earth: write failed, file system is full
cp: /earth/creatures: No space left on device